Outline of vision talk given in January 09
Tibbert Christmas news. Personal: each Christmas and summer holiday I do a personal/family review – cover marriage, spiritual disciplines, how the kids are doing, physical health, emotional state, finances. For this last point – I have a 25 year plan. I have one life and I want to ‘max it’ for God.
On Vision Sunday I do a similar review for the church – possible to set the bar too high so that such a review and analysis demotivates. Also possible to set the bar too low and underachieve.
Lk. 5:1-7 Jesus’ miracle leads to the call – ‘Partners – come and help!’
Since Jan 07 we have experienced a Big Catch! Jan 08 I put before you the five challenges that could have sunk our boat
- Diversity – not remaining a monoculture church
- Growth – caring for people in small groups and providing enough leaders
- Facilities – looking at relocation - quote for £12 million was beyond us. Need for further office space.
- Finance – growth requires large financial demands
- Apostolic – recovering from church plant into Beacon (40 people sent), 10 people to Greenwich, a further 10 to Beacon. My role in Newfrontiers expanding, Mick Taylor’s involvement in Newfrontiers’ training – a huge gift that benefits us and the wider movement.
Response to the challenges: Gracism series, move to a third meeting. Review how we have met our goals from 2007. Growth in our numbers could be described as ‘a massive catch’ – be encouraged! Recognise parts of our set-up are overstretched, though we have massive momentum. I don’t want us to sink –going to need partners to come and help us! Elders to discuss launch of a 4th meeting – possibly on another site – please pray for us.
:7 = key. Signalled to partners to help – or they would sink. Went to those nearest – if you are here we don’t want you to just be here for the (boat) ride – come and help on this battleship, not a pleasure cruiser.
5 ways to help – step up in
- leadership – come and carry some weight
- membership – come and join - sign of commitment
- serving – come and serve - don’t assume that everyone else will do the necessary tasks
- praying – come and pray - especially collective prayer meetings
- giving – come and give - aware of current economic situation but prime way to show where your heart is – by tithes and offerings
Conclusion: ‘Partners! Come and help!’