Tuesday 11 June 2013

Investments!

Earlier in this series of blogs we looked at the money that you spend - but what are you going to do with the money that you have in your savings? This is essentially about your attitude to risk! And be clear-eyed – there are no schemes that can guarantee speedy riches so, if you see those and are remotely attracted by them you need to realise - if they worked as well as their proposers say they do... we would all be doing them!


You have to make a judgement about the level of risk involved in any investment – low, medium or high - and these will change all the time depending on the economic environment. Up to this point in my life I have been a decidedly low-risk investor. My Dad taught me – only go ‘high-risk’ with money you can afford to lose and I have never got to the point yet where I have enough money that I can afford to lose any! I am ‘low-risk’ by inclination but I want to be tax-efficient too, so I have put our savings into ISAs - a mixture of ‘cash’ and ‘share’ ISAs - and some into pensions. There are also medium and high risk investments available – if you have that amount of disposable income you should definitely get some impartial professional advice about such investments.

This series is based on the content of the annual Stewardship seminar from King's Church London