Tuesday 22 October 2013

The Last Words of David

What has God called you to do with your life – what has God put on your heart to do?

I've been looking at David’s last words at a critical moment of transition towards the end of his life, spoken to the people of God, their leaders and to his son Solomon. (1 Chronicles 28:1-21) David had a dream of building a house for God – to take some of the gains from all the success of his reign and build a temple in the centre of Jerusalem for the presence of God to dwell, to put God at the centre of the nation’s life. But through the word of a prophet David was told that this dream would be fulfilled through his son, Solomon. So David, who has made financial and practical provision for this great building, gives instruction to Solomon and also to the people to receive Solomon as the new leader.

Think about what it will be like at the end of your life as it comes to a close and you look back. As I get older I find that from time to time that future moment zooms in. What I do know is that when that time comes I want to find myself there without many regrets. Now, I’m realistic enough to know that there will be things that I think about and conclude, ‘I wish I had handled that situation better. I wish that particular outcome had turned out differently.’ What I hope is that it would be said of me, as I am sure that you would want it said of you, that I had served the purposes of God in our generation.  This is what is said of David (Acts 13:36), and David gives some great wisdom to Solomon as he stands ready to step forward and lead this great people as his father had done.

The next series of blogs will be around seven words from this part of the life of David which I hope will help you as you seek to fulfil what God has put in your heart to do.